The Patriots rout the eagles 35-0 in preseason game two
Much has been said/made about the quarterback controversy in Foxborough, MA. Start Cam Newton or Mac Jones Week One? I think this game settled that debate.
Cam Newton played well in a few series going 8/9 with 103 passing yards with a 151.4 QB rating. He looked efficient and better than he did last year at times. His TD throw to Jakobi Meyers was excellent. This means much more after having two joint practices with the Eagles before this game was played. If Bill Belichick wasn’t leaning towards him as starter yet- this game solidified things.
Even without any of the Top tight ends available, Newton was surprisingly accurate and decisive with his throws. A lot of credit can go to the offensive line in this game as well, which was the true shining star of the game.
Patriots rookie Mac Jones looked great behind that offensive line also. Jones went 13/19 for 146 yards and a 91.1 QB rating. His presence in the pocket is remarkable at such a young age.
The Patriots defense still plays without Stephon Gilmore and after a shaky first game of the preseason, free agent addition Jalen Mills looked good at slot cornerback tonight as well. The Eagles were seemingly never truly at their best (starting Joe Flacco at QB) but this is a very encouraging game all around.
I’ve been strong on the record that this defense will be top 5 in the league when all is said and done. I stand by that take and will never waver on it. If we ante up and pay Gilmore- my take will look even better.
More news and notes from this game:
- Jalen Hurts didn’t play one snap for the Eagles in this game which is not a good sign for that team. Joe Flacco and whatever trash they threw out there isn’t winning you many games. Give the kid a chance unless he’s injured.
- I know I raved about the offensive line but special teams also played well for the Patriots this game. Besides the kicking game of course.
- Rhamondre Stevenson is an absolute savage. After a strong outing in the first preseason game, Stevenson followed that outing with another 2 TD effort in this game. Sony Michel’s days may be numbered.
- The Eagles were never ready to play this game. They looked flat and defeated from the jump.
- Watch out for Matthew Judon like I’ve been saying. He’s going for 10+ sacks this season.
This has been my first article for #The15 and I’m blessed to be able to write for them. Follow me on Twitter @jmarion34.
What a debut, Josh!
I agree on your assessment on Cam. He looked pretty good. Though I would caution his arm looked strong the first few weeks last year, then fell off a cliff.
My concern is that he won’t be able to maintain this performance. He’s taken too many hits. But I guess that’s why we have Mac!